Member of the EVE Tweet Fleet

Welcome

Welcome capsuleers!

Even though Mortal Immortals has been up for a while now, it still has a lot of work needed to be done. RL has decided to rear its ugly head and occupy way more of my time lately, more so than it has for a long time. I will eventually get it done but it'll just take a bit more time than I had envisioned. Bear with me and I promise it'll be worth the wait. I have a lot planned for the future, not the least of which are postings 3 to 5 times or better per week, original guides, contests and giveaways (see below), and no 'Under Construction' sections (I hate them) to make finding things easier and so that I can apply to the Official Fansite List.

I will be hosting some contests and giveaways featuring prizes such as ISK and/or ships and mods in the future so visit often, follow my blog, and watch my tweets and Facebook page for updates!

Fly smart!

~~~ Spyke

Tuesday, March 22, 2011

UPDATE 0n "Lock-out Looming for Many EVE Players" - UPDATED!!!

~ New update info at the bottom ~

The new Dev blog by CCP Zulu - Shader Model 2.0 Support Discontinued April 5th - has finally shed some light on the issue of players possibly facing a lockout due to not being able to access the Character Creator that I blogged about on Sunday, February 27, 2011. Apparently Shader Model 3.0 IS the requirement for the Character Creator that has caused so many to have issues with the CC.

In the Dev Blog, it is also announced that the grace period for the CC has been extended for another few months and that they (CCP) are working with a graphics card company (as yet undisclosed) to secure a discount for us to upgrade our cards.  Now THAT is something you won't see a gaming company do everyday!  I was upset with the way CCP handled this issue with their silence but I think this balances the equation and then some.  I'd like to say thank you to CCP for this effort and for giving us time to upgrade our systems to comply with the new minimum requirement.

On a side note here, the blog states that they estimate that approximately 9000 players have graphics cards with Shader Model 2.0.  Personally, I suspect that the number is significantly higher.  They claim that these systems are roughly eight years old but they aren't taking into consideration newer computers built by companies that used the older tech to build cost-effective systems.  My laptop is a prime example.  It's a Dell Inspiron with a 17" screen that is only a little over four years old yet the Intel chipset only supports Shader Model 2.0  I'd wager that there are a LOT of others out there in the same situation.

Anyway, even though the possible discount won't help me much (as I stated above, I'm on a laptop with an integrated graphics chip - no upgrade for me.  It's new system build time!), those of you who are affected by this should keep a watch on the Dev Blogs and/or here on my blog.  As soon as they announce who the graphics card company is that they are working the deal with, I'll post it.

Guess I'd better close this now and start shopping for parts for that new build which should have occurred over a year ago when my old system fried.  I've procrastinated long enough (now I've just got to come up with the money O.o )...


UPDATE: On 03/26/2011, CCP sent out emails to everyone about the graphics cards deal...
__________________________________________________________________
OUT WITH THE (VERY) OLD
IN WITH THE NEW... FOR 10% LESS!

As mentioned in CCP Zulu's latest devblog, to ease the transition for those that need to upgrade to the new minimum video requirements, EVGA, NVIDIA and CCP Games have banded together to offer a 10% discount on select model EVGA video cards supporting Shader Model 3.0, Shader Model 4.0 and even DirectX 11 for today's latest games!

{Your Charter's Name's} EXCLUSIVE EVGA DISCOUNT CODE
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Your exclusive discount code is valid until April 17th 2011 at the EVGA US online stores for 10% off of any of the following popular video cards:


We want to thank you for being a part of the world's most incredible online universe. Visit the EVGA EVE Discount Page for more details and to order your blazing new video card with a 10% discount, courtesy of EVGA and CCP Games.

- The EVE Online Dev Team
__________________________________________________________________

If you haven't seen yours, check the email you used for your account(s) or check your junk/spam folder.

~~~ Spyke

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments are welcome.... praise, critique, agree or disagree, ask a question, or just say hi, but keep it civil and clean please. Thanks and fly smart!

Please note that comments are limited to 4k (4,096) characters including punctuation, html tags, and spaces. This is set by Google, not by me.

Member of the EVE Tweet Fleet